Hi Ronni

Thanks for the links.  Got a clue (a revelation?) from a reference in the
second link.  All that needs doing (apparently) is to install iTunes (or
Bonjour) on the Windows PC:  Airplay (transmit) is included.

The Apple website is partly down "for scheduled maintenance" so I can't read
the fine print or download iTunes for PC for a quick test.  I hope AirPlay
doesn't need Windows 7.   I've dusted off my old XP laptop and am charging it
ready for the big download.

Cheers
Alan

On 02/10/2011, at 5:08 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 02/10/2011, at 1:49 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

> Is there an AirPlay application to allow a Windows laptop to transmit to a
> 2nd generation Apple TV?
>
> I am setting up a second home network using AirPort Express as the WiFi
> source.   This is independent of the internet, iTunes, and my standard iMac
> network.   The purpose is to allow visiting iPad2 and iPhone guests to
> transmit pre-loaded files to an Apple TV via AirPlay.  And to cater for the
> guest who brings his Windows laptop.
>
> Google search results are swamped with something called AirPlay for Windows
> Media Centre, which allows IOS devices to send photos and videos to a Windows
> Media Centre.    That's not what I want.
>
> Any other suggestions for resolving the Windows guest dilemma?   Perhaps run
> the "real" version of AirPlay!   Can OSX be installed on a Windows PC?
> Something like Boot Camp or Parallels perhaps?     Can the PC and ATV
> Ethernet connection be used somehow in lieu of AirPlay?
>
> Cheers
> Alan
>
> Alan Smith
> iMac 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 4M - OSX 10.6.8
> iPad2; ATV2

Hi Alan,

You have probably read all the information from the below links in your
searching.
I ’thought’  Airplay only works within the Apple ecosystem. But things might
have changed?

<http://gizmodo.com/5634087/forget-apple-tv-airplay-is-apples-sneak-attack-on-television>

<http://ipod.about.com/od/usingairportexpress/ss/airtunes-use.htm>

Shairport4w Brings Apple AirPlay Audio Playback To Windows PC

<http://ipod.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=ipod&cdn=gadgets&tm=44&f=10&tt=12&bt=1&bts=0&st=10&zu=http%3A//www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/shairport4w-brings-apple-airplay-audio-playback-to-windows-pc/>

Or TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/44ldblt

Sorry I’m not much help as I don’t have Apple TV, I only have Elgato EyeTV

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.7 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)