Merv, my apologies if I expressed myself a bit too strongly in my comment.  I
do in fact agree absolutely about the importance of ethical business practices
but feel the examples given in the article were just so inaccurate as to damage
the author's cause.

I have been frustrated in recent years at the amount of unbalanced commentary
in much of the media about things like this. The continual tendency to tear
down those who do well that is such a feature of the Australian psyche is
unfortunately all too evident on the Internet as well.

In the case of Apple it almost seems to be an orchestrated campaign for many
elements of the media to fixate on some manufactured negative issue with each
product release and blow it out of all proportion.  Examples include the lack
of a keyboard on the original iPhone, the non-removable battery, the supposedly
*hot* iPad which was cooler than most other tablets, the Aussie 4G issue and
now this $35 adapter.

Where was the outcry when Samsung changed their adapter from their 30-pin dock
connector (which they copied from Apple) in the Galaxy S2 to the Galaxy S3
without a free adapter for S2 owners?  What's wrong with buying a cheaper third
party adapter than Apple's for the new iPhone 5 - they're already being
advertised.

Why should Apple give it away free? Apple already gives lots of free or cheap
stuff out - far cheaper OS update prices than Microsoft, far cheaper app prices
than desktop software, free iCloud services, the cheap cloud-hosted iTunes
Match service even for pirated music, free iOS system updates, free Find My
iPhone and Find my Friends apps, free Maps GPS navigation app, free iTunes
Remote app, etc etc.  How many gestures of goodwill does Apple have to make?
What's the big deal about this adapter?

What other company has stuck with the same adapter and port on their devices
for a decade?  Why is there no outcry over the ridiculous number of different
USB port sizes and shapes out there that you have to buy different cables and
adapters for each different device? Why did I have to pay $400 for a new remote
key fob for my Landrover(!!!!).  ;-(

It is this unbalanced commentary that just gets my goat!

-Mart