G'day Mart and others,

This may be a bit heretical, but I have concerns how Apple is locking
things down to its commercial benefit.

Let me give you a concrete example. I've just returned from a month
hiking through Switzerland. (If you have the interest, check out
http://www.everlater.com/raphillips1).

To prepare for this, I bought an iPad to: use to display Swiss
topographical maps and record our track by GPS; to maintain a trip blog;
to store and process Rita's photos; and do general web surfing.

The iPad was great except for one element. Photo management.  I was able
to purchase an adaptor to download photos from the camera to the iPad. I
had 15GB of DropBox space to backup the photos to the cloud. Everything
was sweet.

Then I downloaded the first lot of photos, and I could see them on the
iPad, but they weren't in the 'camera roll'. Only items in the camera
roll can be synched to DropBox and Mobile me. By default, only photos
taken with the iPad camera go in the camera roll.  The only way to get
access to these photos seems to be to connect the iPad to a Mac
registered to me, then upload/ download the photos to that machine.  I
didn't have one of these with me!

Why does Apple restrict the functionality of powerful devices like the
iPad so that it can only be used in ways that Apple determines, and
which require other hardware.  The underlying OS should enable me to do
much more.

I spent hours at nights trying to find apps to work around this, without
much success. It shouldn't be so difficult.

I am concerned that I am being manipulated by Apple.

Cheers
Rob