Hello Brett,

First before I can offer any help - What version of  macOS and Apple Mail are
you using?
The versions of Mail in Mojave, High Sierra, iOS 12, and iOS 11 contain new
features and design changes.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6