Hi Marcus, it would be interesting to hear the outcome of your
experiment. Can you indicate if you are an Apple Music Subscriber or
not? This will make a difference.
I thought what the heck I would do an experiment too. I went to
Music>Store and pressed Buy on the song "Love is a Rose" in that
Album. iTunes duly asked for my password (to enable billing for my
$2.19 purchase) and it duly downloaded into my external drive where my
iTunes library is held - but NOT in the APPLE MUSIC subfolder of my
library but rather an auto created new folder in my _Music _parent
folder called Volume Pete>Music>Neil Young>Homegrown>Mexico. I can see
the m4a file when doing the "Show in Finder" option. This file plays
in Quicktime Player - no issues - albeit on my MBP.
I also went to the album in iTunes>Library (not Store) and did a
search in "All Apple Music" now and selected "Home Grown" and then
selected the Neil Young album. I selected the song Mexico and this
downloaded too, BUT it was placed in the "Apple Music" subfolder
beneath my _Music _top level folder and the file is called "03
Mexico.m4p". I think the "p" in the filename might infer protected.
But the Mexico track will NOT play in Quicktime player (Using
Quicktime Player is a test as it does not utilise my Apple ID
credentials to confirm playability for protected files. It didn't
play.
So, as I am a subscriber I am able to play the whole album without
buying anything so long as it is on one of my Apple devices. This
covers all my possibilities. I either download a song, Album, playlist
or any Music content to my device (if I am out of 4G range, it plays
fine).
I checked in my Purchase History too following this and there is a
Pending transaction for $2.19 dated today for the song Love is a Rose.
If Apple's checking system is in order, it should not charge me - as I
pay already via subscription. But if I get billed the $2.19, I will
know for future. It will be useful to know.

Kind Regards

Peter Crisp