The Duck Lady wrote:

 :: If the <b> tag is going to go the way of the dodo bird, how

 :: do I make a one-line

 :: break? <stops to kick self smartly> I *know* someone (one

 :: of the Cheryls???)

 :: just told me this recently but I seem to have misfiled it.

 :: I was *sure* I'd

 :: remember it, too, because I use the <b> tag a lot as I

 :: mostly don't like the

 :: double spaces produced by <p>.

Sherry,

I think you're getting the <b> [bold] tag confused with the <br> [break]
tag.

Boldness is better implemented by other possibilities within CSS. Cascading
Style Sheets give us a means of separating page style from page structure.
We can use HTML or XHTML to build the framework of the web pages of our
site. Then, in a single location, we can define the look or style of the
site and cascade that homogenous look to the entire site through CSS. If we
have style elements embedded throughout our web site, to change our style,
we have to hunt down all those attributes and change them one at a time. If
the site style is centralized and cascaded, we can change the style once,
and effect the entire site.

So, an example of using CSS might look like this in our page:

How many times have I asked you to <strong>put down the toilet seat</strong>
?

and in our style sheet, on Monday we want <strong> to look like this:

        strong {font-size:14pt; font-weight:bold;}

Throughout your site everyplace there's a <strong> tag, the text will be
large and bold.

But on Wednesday, we change our mind and think strong should look like this:

        strong {font-size:12pt; font-weight:normal; font-style:italic;
color:red;}

Now, with little effort at all, <strong> tags will be 12pt, red, and italic.

To clear up the other issue. In strict XHTML all tags need to be closed. so
to have a closing slash as well, like this <br />.

Hopefully, this will make things  a little clearer for you. :)

Perry Gerenday

www.klugelab.com

www.webinitiative.net