That is very helpful.  I'm using this code cause I found that it would work
under most browsers but never really looked at it.  Good point about using
Media player.  Thanks

The site is www.bridesnumberone.com/redesign/main.htm

---- Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Quoting "Hoenig, Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I'm developing a site for someone and they want a music file to play
>  when a page loads.  I can get it to work on IE, Firefox, and
> Netscape using bgsound but it's not working when viewed on a mac.
>
> if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") {
>               document.write('<bgsound src="music/heart.mp3" LOOP="false">');
>               }
>               else {
>               document.write('<embed type="application/x-mplayer2"
> pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/";
> Name="MediaPlayer" src="music/heart.mp3" AutoStart="true"
> ShowStatusBar="0" ShowControls="0" ShowDisplay="0" volume="1"
> HEIGHT="1" WIDTH="1" loop="infinite"><br>');
>               }
>
> That's the script I'm using???  Do I need to use a different format
> (I'm using mp3) ??

What's the web address so I can test it live? I can almost guarantee
that it won't work under linux either.  Why? Because you're requesting
Microsoft's Media player.  The chances of this being installed on any
operating system other than windows is slim to none, which raises a
few questions:

1) Why are you putting background sound on the website? :oP
2) (and much more seriously) Why not let the operating system decide
what it uses to play the file?

Unfortunately, I can't provide any hints on how to let the operating
system decide, as I've never put sound into the background of the
webpage.

My personal preference under Linux is mplayer, however I know that a
lot of people use Xine, xmms or even (in some extreme cases) Windows
Media Player running under Wine (a windows emulator).

Hope this is of some help,

Matt

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''

____ � The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM � ____

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''