Hoenig, Robert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ink wired:

> they want a music file to play
> when a page loads

Please talk them out of it.  One of the more annoying aspects of surfing is
to load a page and then you get BLASTED by music playing at 90 decibels
(volume settings never seem to give consistent results across various
workstations) with no way to shut it off.

If you can't, then I would go to MSDN and get the specs for embedding WMP --
and I would have AutoStart set to false... if the user wants to hear music,
he/she can turn it on.  Otherwise, you risk having prospective customers
shut you down before seeing the products/service offerings.

> I can get it to work on IE,
> Firefox, and Netscape using
> bgsound but it's not working
> when viewed on a mac.

Don't use bgsound -- this gives the user ZERO control over their experience.
Rather, embed a player.  If WMP is your default, the largest userbase will
have it installed.  Linux and many Mac users will be spared.  I believe
Quicktime may be more indigenous to Mac... so your scripting may want to
test for the OS and use QT for non-windows users.

Another option is to give the user a choice of which player they prefer.
Look at sites like MSNBC where you look at video and it asks you to choose
your preferred player and bandwidth.  Again, putting the user first... the
more choices you offer the user, the better their experience would be.

And, since I injected a bit of opinion there, I will close with the Dennis
Miller disclaimer:  That's just my opinion... I may be wrong.

--
dwacon(com)