10x for the info.
Is there any benefit for using the server vs. the desktop flavor?

About pgAdmin, I don't really understand what you mean.
We have been using posgreSQL with web2py in production for almost 3 years
now. Using phpPgAdmin on our production was never an option - always a
necessity. Maybe it's becuse we are using an outdated version of web2py,
but from our experience, the DAL isn't perfect - there are many advanced
features of PostgreSQL that are not supported (I can give you a list of
those), so we HAVE to use some kind of interface to further customize our
schema outside of web2py. I don't really see how we can do this in a dev
machine and not need to do the same for the prod. machine. If they share a
database, then the database is on the prod. machine - and we need phpPgAdmin.
If each of them have a separate machine, then we need 2 phpPgAdmins one on
each machine. As far as I know, you can't have your database installed
inone machine, and have your
phpPgAdmin hosted on another - in its configuration file, you have to
specify the local path of the pg_dump.exe and stuff like that it needs for
it's operation. And again, we need it's operation for unsupported feattures of
postgreSQL in web2py.
As for PgAdmin-III, well, we basically only use if when transferring our
database + schema as an SQL string, from one machine to another. Somehow
the same thing using phpPgAdmin doesn't take us the whole way the same way
PgAdmin-III does when doing that.
If we were starting a new project, I could have agreed with you - we
wouldn't need phpPgAdmin AND PgAdmin-III. But since we already have a
database somewhere else (meaning, outside the virtual machine I just
installed thanks to you), we need PgAdmin-III for the database transferring.
 And since the installation of it in ubuntu is extremely simple, and having
our solution installing a default ubuntu installation of postgreSQL, I
would have expected the installation of PgAdmin-II to have automatically
identified the postgreSQL service/process that is running - but when I
launch it, and try to "connect", it apparently doesn't find it properly. I
can't seem to be able to connect to the postgreSQL service with it. I don't
see any redmine database I can connect to. I think we are confusing the
database node, with the connection-string/setting for PgAdmin to find the
server/service/process/whatever...

Any thought?

And any pointers you could give me for trying to install phpPgAdmin?
I was able to locate where web2py is and where redmine is. But where is
nginx? How do I further configure it for php ? Any configuration file I
should know aboout?

And what about web2py?
Is it connected to postgreSQL?
I guess not, because it's just the welcome application, that uses sqlite by
default, right?
I guess if I can connect to postgreSQL with PgAdmin, I will have found the
specification I need to use in the connection string in web2py for our
application (we currently use the default settings for postgreSQL connection
and it works)

I was able to install everything smoothly on ubuntu 12.04 desktop x64 with
virtual box on windows 7 x64. Web2py and redmine are loading successfully
locally with firefox. But how do I access them elsewhere on our intranet?
I tries "ifcondif" in the reminal, and got a 10.0.2.15 ip adress... That's
not usefull, I guess... I'll admit I am a nube at linux and virtual
machinesstuff... Would appreciate any pointers you could give me...