See below answer...

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Arnon Marcus <a.m.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 10x for the info.
> Is there any benefit for using the server vs. the desktop flavor?
>
> About pgAdmin, I don't really understand what you mean.
> We have been using posgreSQL with web2py in production for almost 3 years
> now. Using phpPgAdmin on our production was never an option - always a
> necessity. Maybe it's becuse we are using an outdated version of web2py,
> but from our experience, the DAL isn't perfect - there are many advanced
> features of PostgreSQL that are not supported (I can give you a list of
> those), so we HAVE to use some kind of interface to further customize our
> schema outside of web2py. I don't really see how we can do this in a dev
> machine and not need to do the same for the prod. machine. If they share
> a database, then the database is on the prod. machine - and we need
> phpPgAdmin. If each of them have a separate machine, then we need 2
> phpPgAdmins one on each machine. As far as I know, you can't have your
> database installed in one machine, and have your phpPgAdmin hosted on
> another - in its configuration file, you have to specify the local path of
> the pg_dump.exe and stuff like that it needs for it's operation. And
> again, we need it's operation for unsupported feattures of postgreSQL in
> web2py.
> As for PgAdmin-III, well, we basically only use if when transferring our
> database + schema as an SQL string, from one machine to another. Somehow
> the same thing using phpPgAdmin doesn't take us the whole way the same
> way PgAdmin-III does when doing that.
> If we were starting a new project, I could have agreed with you - we
> wouldn't need phpPgAdmin AND PgAdmin-III. But since we already have a
> database somewhere else (meaning, outside the virtual machine I just
> installed thanks to you), we need PgAdmin-III for the database transferring.
>  And since the installation of it in ubuntu is extremely simple, and
> having our solution installing a default ubuntu installation of postgreSQL,
> I would have expected the installation of PgAdmin-II to have automatically
> identified the postgreSQL service/process that is running - but when I
> launch it, and try to "connect", it apparently doesn't find it properly. I
> can't seem to be able to connect to the postgreSQL service with it. I
> don't see any redmine database I can connect to. I think we are confusing
> the database node, with the connection-string/setting for PgAdmin to find
> the server/service/process/whatever...

I am not sure I follow you about service/process, as far as I know you only
need to connect to postgres, you need a ip, an user name and a password. So
you need to configure you connection in pgAdmin for that. You may need to
open access from the prod/staging server, firewall, pg_hba.conf and
postgresql.conf in /etc/postgresql/.../.../*

About the last point pg_hba.conf, I prefer connect remote sever with ssh,
less difficult then setting up SSL with postgres, search for "ssh
fowarding" for that, here the command : ssh -L
local-port:HOSTNAMEorIP:distant-port (
http://www.debianadmin.com/howto-use-ssh-local-and-remote-port-forwarding.html
)

About phpPgAdmin, I can't see what you can't do with pgAdmin, I tweak my
database as I which with pgAdmin from remote machine (my dev environnement)
without limit, I would not rely on phpPgAdmin for that, but it surely a
matter of choice. If you prefer phpPgAdmin go for it (google with the write
keyword should allow you to find the way you can configure nginx with php
support and then install phpPgAdmin).

> Any thought?
>
> And any pointers you could give me for trying to install phpPgAdmin?
> I was able to locate where web2py is and where redmine is. But where is
> nginx? How do I further configure it for php ? Any configuration file I
> should know aboout?

Google

> And what about web2py?
> Is it connected to postgreSQL?
> I guess not, because it's just the welcome application, that uses sqlite by
> default, right?
> I guess if I can connect to postgreSQL with PgAdmin, I will have found
> the specification I need to use in the connection string in web2py for our
> application (we currently use the default settings for postgreSQL connection
> and it works)

Web2py is just installed, you app should have a connection string that
where you define the location of your database server and user name and
password. I think, I should have create a web2py dummy app deployed with my
script :-P

> I was able to install everything smoothly on ubuntu 12.04 desktop x64
> with virtual box on windows 7 x64. Web2py and redmine are loadingsuccessfully
> locally with
> firefox. But how do I access them elsewhere on our intranet?

That mean that the script if working well for you (if you can connect to
both site web2py welcome and redmine)... About the intranet, I don't really
understand... I presume that you have deploy a virtual machine on you own
desktop computer, if so, and regarding your next sentence and the 10.0.2.15
ip address you mention, I think you should use bridged networking (easier
solution to allow internet connection to a VM with VB) interface in you
network VirtualBox machine this way all the VM you host on this computer
will use the network card (the one of you computer) and get each a IP
address. That is far from the purpose of this script. And you maybe need a
syst admin if you don't know how to do this kind of stuff your self. Also,
hosting a staging/prod server on your own dev computer is kind of use less
you will run 2 VMs at the same time on the same machine (one for the
prod/staging VM and one for your Dev machine), and you will get in trouble
with memory soon. If you don't have a really prod server, for example ESXi
or bare metal dedicated server, you should stick with one VM where you
configure Nginx, etc. and you developpe with Rocket server included in
web2py.

Richard

I tries "ifcondif" in the reminal, and got a 10.0.2.15 ip adress... That's