> 1) Don't worry about whether Web2Py is 'Enterprise Ready'. That is
> Tech Press/Vendor Spiel to create marketshare with appeal. Its verbal
> junk. Go take a look at table 2a
> --http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/smallbus.html
> . The tally of firms <100 employees to those >100 outrank them 10x.

You're very right, there are many more small businesses than large
ones.

> The number of firms with budgets that support $1m+ software projects
> is less than 20k. There are probably 100 'Enterprise Providers' (eg
> Microsoft, IBM, Sun, Oracle) chasing that small field.  So when I hear
> a programmer state they do 'Enterprise level production development'
> like some badge, Django or otherwise they too are chasing that small
> field of money. Most likely as a member of one of those 'Enterprise
> Providers'.

Again, I couldn't agree more--people who say they are doing
'Enterprise level production development' are usually part of
Microsoft, IBM, Sun, Oracle, or are working for a large company using
primarily those products.  I usually find that term to be more fluff
than anything else.  There are a few components to 'Enterprise level
production development' that are truly unique, like OLAP/OLTP that
don't tend to happen in other domains, but most of the time people
aren't talking about that.

> 2) The opportunity is in that <100 employee range. Those firms rarely
> have million dollar budgets. Nor do they typically have the budgets to
> buy WebSphere platforms or SAP software. But their need is just as
> great for specialized software.
>
> Better to cater to the smaller firms who would benefit from web2py. It
> is just as important to be able to be profitable in the small scale as
> the large. Fact more so.

Definitely!  It seems that Web2Py is highly optimized for this type of
situation.  Small team, rapid prototyping, teaching, etc.  I think
it's a really under-appreciated niche, too.

Thanks,
Eric Florenzano