I think both Eric and weheh are right. On the one side there is no
reason you cannot use something like web2py for it (benefit from DAL
and templating language and caching) on the other size there are some
issue with scalability that have to be resolved outside web2py or any
framework (storage and database bottleneck). Currently for example
web2py does not have a machanism to store session in memcache (only
for GAE) and need to add that (in progress). It would also be nice to
have a smarter (fail safe) version of memcache.

Massimo