Why wouldn't a web2py serve to handle a website on the order of
youTube? Why couldn't an IBM handle their corporate intranet as well
as their extranet with web2py? Is web2py missing something in
particular? Is it missing something critical that can't be built?

For sure, it is the only framework that I've researched that allows 1
person to do it all. Extraordinary software is more the hallmark of
small teams than behemoths. This is why I think web2py is will enable
work of integrity, consistency and performance. And python puts vast
functionality within the reach of many.

Enterprise is defined as "a project undertaken or to be undertaken,
esp. one that is important or difficult or that requires boldness or
energy." It isn't easy, but one person can change the world. Web2py
makes it substantially easier for that one person.