Well, I took a peak at mod_wsgi.c file (14000 lines of code in a
single .c file, that guy is hardcore... the scrolling alone would have
driven me insane) which pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

Calls to the Apache API (32 bits) is intermixed with calls to the
Python API (64 bits on my machine). I don't think that will work.

Guess I could just take 32 bits python, run Apache/Web2py in 32 bits
and have my engine as a separate 64 bit executable which would
communicate with web2py using IPCs (I'm thinking of pipes or sockets).

But this doesn't seem entierely satisfying (I'm unsure of the overhead
for the IPCs in terms of performance).

Or I guess I could simply use another solution to Apache. I was
considering Apache, because thats what the ops guys had setup at my
two previous places of employment, but perhaps there could be
something simpler that could get the job done (especially since I'm
more of a programmer than a sys admin, learning Apache in itself would
be an overhead).

Any suggestions?