This issue issue comes up regularly and my answer does not change.

I very much welcome a community effort to have a better documentation.
It was attempted many times before and many times it has failed. It
failed because people think it is a technological issue (which wiki do
we use?) but it is not. The problem is keeping the docs in sync with
code is a pedantic issue and there is not enough motivation.

The problem with the book is that content is copyrighted and I have an
agreement with the publisher. I have already lost $600/month in
revenues from book sales since the book was posted online. This has
not been bade up by donations.

I am in the process of revising the online book online:
- add new sections
- move from markdown to markmin
- include an automatic markmin to pdf (for download)
- make it more friendly to users

As far as I am concerned I need help with docstings, examples in
docstrigns, and more tests.

I will look into the php wiki you refer to.

Massimo