Yeah, thanks for the tip :) Above was really a question of
disagreement with that workingDirectory -> branch thing, simply
because IMHO, branches should be planned and managed following set
criteria and purpose (again that's just me). Of course, there are many
possible avenues, and it is possible I am talking through my hat here,
and I have never met Professor Di Pierro but I do know he has dreamed
up this great thing then brought it to life. So that has to be the the
leading concern when wrt requirement/guide line to  establish what
needs to happens (at a high level) and here, it is clear:

“... the less I use mercurial the better. For example I keep one
single branch of web2py. I simply apply patches, test them, and either
revert or commit. This model has worked well for me and I would not
like to change it. “

If this model helps Mr Di Pierro and enables him, then I say, by all
means, lets start there and then fashion the tooling around that (even
if we need to make Mercurial have the look and feel or Perforce, or
CVS, etc... or what ever it takes). Its all do-able. Under-layers of
getting code-to-production can still be improved without adding extra
grief for Mr Di Pierro's.

WRT bug tracking: a bug tracking system in the key of web2py!? What a
great idea! And what better way to integrate a bug tracking system to
a web2py front end for Mercurial than to integrate it with a web2py
front end for Mercurial? Of course, handling permissions and
privileges would be a challenge? Maybe not? (I'm thinking the
contributing community vs web2py leads/leader)... but that just may be
logistical.

Mart :)