we do use googlecode for not. Here is the current (imperfect) process:

1) people post a question about a possible bug
2) somebody checks that it is a bug, usually me
3) if the bug does not get fixed in 24h, the original poster opens a
googlecode ticket
4) when the bug is fixed the ticket is closed

because many bugs are dealt with in <24hrs there is no record. Because
bugs are fixed in trunk and trunk takes a couple of weeks to become
steable and because most users never upgrade to the latest stable,
occasionally there are multiple questions related to the same fixed
bug. I am not sure better workflow management fixes this latter
problem.

I have not read all messages on this thread carefully yet. Eventually
I will but I am happy to hear more of your ideas.