Yes, you are right, the approach is messy.

So the best way could be something like a module. The image URL is passed
as an argument, the module crunch the image and returns the correct URL.

So in code you have to write something like:

IMG(_src=responsive(URL('static','image.img')),_alt='test')

This way the programmer is aware of responsiveness and he could use the
feature where he wants!

The responsive module could be configure to use local cpu or a remote
service.

What do you think?

--
Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo