Andrew,

it's simple go back to old auth_navbar.

In views/layout.html comment this jquery code:

            jQuery('.auth_navbar').each(function(){
                jQuery(this)
 .addClass('btn-group')
 .children('a').addClass('btn')
            });

and change the <div id="navbar"> in this way (note separators):

',''))}}</div>

At least add below 2 rows to bottom of static/css/bootswatch.css:

#navbar{
padding-top:9px;
}
#navbar .auth_navbar, #navbar .auth_navbar a{
 color:inherit;
 //color:expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle['color']); /* ie7 doesn't
support inherit */
}

Please, let me know if it works.