First of all kudos to Andriy,

He created an excellent testing code, he was very responsive, and he really
took the time to understand some of the web2py code. Moreover he is the
author of the excellent wheezy.web framework.

He just emailed me that he has rebuilt his testing environment and has
updated the benchmarks:

http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/09/python-fastest-web-framework.html

The memory leak is gone! I am not sure about the cause but I suspect he had
an older web2py version installed via pip that was creating problems.

We still score last but the numbers are closer to the numbers that Niphlod
got. Anyway, this is not a concern to me because although this is a simple
"hello world" test, web2py does more than the others (session, T, url and
ip validation, etc.) and it is expected to be slower. The difference, as
Niphlod sasys, washes away in real life applications. Yet we can probably
do better with some simple tweaks and we should pursue that. Niphlod
numbers still look better by almost a factor 2 so something else is going
on too.

Andriy also posted template benchmarks:
http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/07/python-fastest-template.html

So if we compare web2py with Django you see that web2py is slower on "hello
world" but has faster templates. As you can see the time to render one
template page dominates the time to serve "hello world". Of course
wheezy.web smokes everybody else on both tests and that is something we
should try understand. We should also try port gluino to wheezy.web.

Massimo