On 28/03/2012, at 9:38 AM, Pascal Robert wrote:

>>> In the past, we had Apple sponsorship and most of the big additions to
>>> Wonder between 2007 and 2010 came from Apple… We don't have that
>>> sponsorship anymore, and personally I don't think we will survive if we
>>> don't pay people for major stuff. I don't think we will survive anyway, but
>>> that's another story…
>> Apple funded a VERY small percentage of the contributions to Wonder. Almost
>> all of the contributions I made came from mDimension donating their time,
>> bandwidth, and hardware for the good of the community. Frankly, if Apple
>> hadn't funded the things they did, I would have done them anyway, because I
>> just enjoyed making things.
>>
>> This approach of paying for fixes seems like you're just going to end up
>> with a collection of bounty hunters instead of a community. On top of that,
>> there's no way you're going to be able to afford to pay the market cost for
>> this work. mDimension easily donated a couple hundred thousand dollars of
>> time if you applied their real hourly rate to the work. So on top of
>> encouraging people to only give if they get paid, they're going to be paid
>> crap, so why would anyone even bother?
>>
>> I really don't think things are stagnant because of the lack of money.
>> They're stagnant because the remaining people in the community don't care
>> enough to contribute. I don't buy any of the "I don't know how to do X" or
>> "I don't have time to do X." You have to want it. I didn't know how to write
>> nearly any of what was in WOLips before I started working on WOLips, and
>> likewise with Wonder. I learned WebObjects working on Wonder. I'm would
>> wager that everyone who worked on Wonder was in the same category.
>> Contribution is also positive reinforcement. The coolest times in Wonder for
>> me were always when one person contributing got someone else energized to
>> contribute and amazing things were made.
>>
>> The real question is: Who is currently NOT contributing because they're just
>> waiting for a payday to do so? If you're perfectly happy enjoying the fruits
>> of the community while not giving back to the community, look in the mirror
>> for the reason it's dying. Either give a shit, or don't be sad that it dies.

I agree with mike's statement, and can relate. I have worked on many different
parts of WOLips, Wonder and numerous other projects, and more often than not I
had no idea where to start, all I knew was what I wanted to achieve. You just
have to know what you want to do, and don't give up until you succeed or know
that it can't be done. Some of the code I have contributed took me over a year
to get right (arguably some of it still isn't), and there are other things I
have been working on sporadically (because it's not something I need yet) for
close to 4 years now that could be great, or may never be finished, I still
don't know which. I won't even mention the number of experiments I have
abandoned because they couldn't be made to work the way I had hoped. Nobody
could justify paying for that time, particularly to someone who had no idea how
to do it in the first place, and with possibly nothing to show for it at the
end.

For me it has never been about getting payment, recognition, or privilege. The
sole reason I have spent thousands of hours of my own time working on code for
the sole purpose of giving it away is one of moral duty and respect for the
people who did it before me and still do it today. They have spent innumerable
hours they could have used to do paid work, donated resources and sacrificed
time with their families and friends, so that we could benefit from their
generosity. People like David Terán who gave more of his life to this community
than you would think possible. I do it, because they did it before me, it's my
payment for using their work.

My advice for the community is to stop getting hung up thinking up ways to
better market and grow the community. Instead simply remember what made it what
it is, good people, supporting each other and donating their time and effort to
make it better than it was yesterday. Step up, do something, make a difference,
do it now, no matter how small, in whatever way you can.