On 07/18/2011 12:56 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
On 7/18/11 9:46 PM, Craig Olofson wrote:

Can someone please address this?  I'd like to know where the decision was
made to reference only F/OSS-licensed templates and extensions.
This is something that we discussed before the initial announcement of
September 28, 2010. The license is quite important, if we want to build
a sound ecosystem around TDF. Of course, developers are free to choose a
different license, but in this case we cannot promote their work hosting
their extensions in our repository.

Thank you Italo.

This is a clear and sustainable policy and I am sure no one will be surprised by it.

I also understand that this page will be the paramount reference point for all templates & extensions in the entire LibreOffice ecosystem. This is why we should make some accommodation on the page to developers of extensions / templates which don't fall under GNU licensing.

The more inclusive and equitable this resource is towards the developer and end-user communities, the more valuable of an asset it becomes to TDF/LibO: more page-hits, more bookmarking and, ultimately, a more direct link with the user-base.

Conversely, if we make no attempt to help end-users find what they legitimately may be looking for then, the site is that much less effective or sticky.

To have an idea of what I am proposing, we would change the wording regarding licensing from:
LibreOffice remains committed to providing users with quality software authored under free software licenses <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>, and, as such, our catalogue of extensions and templates are published under free software licenses <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>.
to:
LibreOffice remains committed to providing users with quality software authored under free software licenses <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>, and, as such, we host only extensions and templates which are published under free software licenses <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>.

For extensions and templates provided under other licensing, we have included a listing referencing their authors' respective sites.

In short, we will not host closed-source but we can reference it for the good of the larger community. I believe this is preferable for two reasons:

 * this site becomes a comprehensive resource to the community
 * the conditions are an incentive for non-GNU developers to re-think
   their licensing
 * TDF actively demonstrates inclusiveness yet again.

Italo, thank you again for responding. And if this isn't the proper forum for this thread, please point me in the right direction. I am only now understanding how difficult it is to manage the volume of messaging going on in this product.

Regards,
-Craig