My recollection is that the 'incorrect system time at startup' issue has
been one that seems to rear its head every now and then. Whilst the
preferred solution is to have a battery backed RTC there have been various
approaches taken in the WeeWX code base to ameliorate the situation where a
battery backed RTC does not exist. These approaches have primarily been
because of issues with the RPi but apply equally to any device. I believe
the current approach is for WeeWX to block on startup until it sees a
system date-time that is the same or more recent that than the weewx.conf
file timestamp. The reasoning being that a system with no battery backed
RTC or is yet to sync via NTP will revert to a system date-time of
somewhere in the 1970s (epoch start ?) and weewx.conf will always be
timestamped later than the startup date-time. The obvious issue here is the
RPi fake hardware clock that will cause the RPi to reboot with a more
recent system date-time, one that could be more recent than the weewx.conf
timestamp, and hence could still cause issues with a near but not close
enough system date-time. The solution thus relies on the RPi fake hardware
clock being disabled.

Perhaps the issue is compounded by changes from jessie to stretch (systemd
handling of time sync ?), but I don't see the point in going off down
another rabbit hole until we know the current approach does not work. I
agree the problem is likely system time related but I have not yet seen
anything in any of the recent threads that shows that when properly
implemented the current approach is failing.

Gary