so looking at the vantage driver it seems that if the weewx host (raspberry
pi zero without a RTC) has an incorrect time like after a restart and syncs
it's bad (early) time with the vantage console, then records being added to
the vantage console will have an earlier timestamp than existing records.
when weewx goes to read the records and finds a "decreasing timestamp" it
stops reading more records. manually clearing all the records AND setting
the correct time is a solution.

I propose changing the vantage driver to avert setting the console time,
during a routine sync, earlier than the last record in the console. This
should prevent weewx from adjusting the console time until the weewx host
has had an opportunity to successfully acquire the time from an external
source (ntp server).   I suppose setting the console to a future time could
cause a problem, preventing weewx from correcting the console time without
first clearing the last (errant) record.