On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:00:09 AM UTC-4, John wrote:

> I propose changing the vantage driver to avert setting the console time,
> during a routine sync, earlier than the last record in the console. This
> should prevent weewx from adjusting the console time until the weewx host
> has had an opportunity to successfully acquire the time from an external
> source (ntp server).   I suppose setting the console to a future time could
> cause a problem, preventing weewx from correcting the console time without
> first clearing the last (errant) record.

merge requests are welcome!

it might help to clarify the scenarios before pushing for a specific
solution.

scenario 1: standalone rpi.  options are to install a clock, depend on ntp,
or both.  if network is flaky, then the clock might be preferred.  in
either case, get rid of fakehwclock.  if you depend on setting time over
the network, then absolutely get rid of the systemd timesync and install a
real service such as ntp.

scenario 2: rpi on your own network where you can control time.  run an ntp
server on your network, sync it to a other ntp servers or your own gps or
other device with known reliable time.  get rid of any systemd rubbish and
install ntp on the rpi, then configure it to use your time server.

scenario 3: use the weather station's clock to set the rpi clock.  this
could be done independently of weewx, and probably in a pretty generic way
that could work for many types of stations.  or it could be done in the
weewx driver (less desirable).  or it could be done as a generic weewx
service.  you'll probably never get it to be as accurate as ntp, but it
might be good enough.

i am sure there are other scenarios...