I think it is overkill--but I did it anyway--so I've been running Raspbian
with weewx with the Cumulus plug-in and the CPU is idle.  I don't believe
heat would be an issue in this config however I am using an RTL-SDR that
runs very hot so it skews things.  No case or fans presently.  My onboard
temperature is 65C after running 2 days but I attribute that to the
RTL-SDR.  So I have heat sinks and a fan on order to deal with that
aspect.

If you are grabbing a 4, be aware of the USB-C port:
https://www.scorpia.co.uk/2019/06/28/pi4-not-working-with-some-chargers-or-why-you-need-two-cc-resistors/

Cheers.