On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:56:10PM -0400, Laurent Birtz wrote:
> The latest
> version of 'dr' I've found is 1.17. It does not seem
> to be compatible with 1.1.2 units files anymore. Am I
> correct when I assume that 1.17 is the latest version?

It is.  Feel free to update it if you want to experiment with different
calculation methods.  If you do update dr, I suggest you commit it
to svn into the utils directory.  While you are at it, you might want
to rewrite it to use Dave's wml parsing package instead of dr's crude
approximation to WML (circa 0.8.10).

> Taking into what Sapient said about CMULs being the same
> as FMULs, the formula compatible with Xan's changes become
> damage = (((base_damage || SET) + ADD_1 + ADD_2)
> * MUL_1 * MUL_2 * (1.0 + ToD + Leadership))
> This is (much) simpler than my previous version (phew!) and
> the user can understand it eventually. Yet it is still more
> complex than an all-multiplicative solution.

The only real problem here is the ADD term.  What do ADD_1 and ADD_2 do,
other than complicate explanation of the damage calculations?  If they
are not currently used, and no-one has made use of them in several months,
then I suggest they are a solution in search of a problem and be dropped
as a superfluous feature.  We would then be back at multiplicative
damage with additive TOD and leadership, and there would be no need for
brain-stretching explanations of what is going on.

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]