My latest idea:

Name      Alignment  GP  HP  Melee               Ranged
--------  ---------  --  --  ------------------  -------------
Townsman  Lawful      8  18  4-3 stave (pierce)  -
Huntsman  Neutral     8  18  -                   4-3 bow
Henchman  Chaotic     8  18  4-3 cudgel (impact) 4-1 sling

Townsmen advance to Spearman(, Fencer?)(, Sergeant?).
Huntsmen advance to Poacher, Bowman.
Henchmen advance to Thug, Footpad(, Thief?).

Peasant would be dropped entirely. The Townsman would be the equivalent
of the old Peasant, just without the rural implications (and ranged
attack?). The art would be easy to adapt. Although Townsman does have
urban implications, it might still work in all the cases Peasants are
currently used in. Alternatively, we just won't touch Peasant, except
it's advancement options; this sounds like a very viable option.

So, with this suggestion we'd basically have one melee/lawful peasant,
one ranged/neutral peasant and one outlaw/chaotic peasant. The one thing
I didn't like about the previous proposal(s) was the overlap in the
advancement options which this system eliminates, as well as having one
unit of each alignment (personally, I'd find having three neutral lvl
0's a bit boring). Having advancement overlap isn't that bad to have,
but I don't think it should be done if the whole thing can be done in a
clearer and simpler way. In any case, this is just a proposal and I'm
not hugely interested in how it ends up being done.

Obviously, the stats are sketchy. The Townsman/Peasant/Villager/whatever
is the biggest problem, since IMO Fencer and Sergeant are a bit funny
advancements (mostly Fencer; Sergeant sound reasonable enough) and
having only Spearman would be boring (Spearman itself having three
advancements helps a bit, though).

--
Lari Nieminen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]