There was some discussion on IRC since the latest email.  Some of these
ideas are mine, some are IRC consensus

Here's the line-up as i see it

Townsman: lawful: staff or cudgel — to spearman or fencer, or something
Woodsman: (formerly huntsman) neutral: bow and knife — to bowman or
poacher
Henchman: chaotic or neutral: club:  — to footpad and thug
Peasant (unchanged)

The Extended Era "henchman" graphics make little sense as the L0 to
footpad and thug— it looks like a small barbarian warrior.  I'm going
to undertake better graphics.  The UMC can use it or not, as they wish.
 But i believe the concept is identical.  XE has duplicates for almost
all our units so it will cause them no hardship.