On 04/02/2010 09:40 AM, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:
> On 2010/4/2, Fabian Mueller wrote:
>
>> I have just finished a small patch that introduces a new slider in the
>> game creation dialogue
>> in MP.
>>
>> The slider can be set from 1 to 3 and gives the times the unit's
>> statistics are multiplied with.
>> Multiplied are the HP, the attack numbers and all healing/poison.
>>
> I'm not sure this is the way to go, as it would cause all the
> balancing effort to be lost.
Are you talking about slow/poison only or is really "all the balancing
effort" lost
for some reason I don't see?
>   I think it would be better for units to
> always do damage, but with weak hits and critical hits. Only critical
> hits would apply abilities and their chance to hit would be the
> current one.
The critical hits that can apply abilities (you are still talking about
slow and poison, right?)
is a good idea to balance the abilities, but giving the damage always is
much to radical for
my taste.
I like Wesnoth's luck system and don't want to remove it completely.

Another way to balance poison and slow would be to reduce their affect
accordingly to their
increased occurrence.
>   The slider would then decide how damage is split between
> weak and critical hits. (Note that setting critical hits at 100%
> damage gives precisely the current system.) That way, the combat
> system would still have the exact same statistical properties (average
> damage, chance to apply abilities, etc) than the current one, hence
> ensuring that unit balance is preserved.

I still don't get every detail of your proposal but it's fine.
Can we implement both systems and see which one gives better results and
is liked more
then see which one makes it or find a mixture between them both?