Am 15.04.2010 06:39, schrieb David White:
> I think that the multiplayer lobby in 1.8 has seen insufficient testing
> to be used in a product as mature as Wesnoth. It seems like it's going
> to take a while to fix it up and make it production-ready.
>
> When such a thing happens, my view is that the change should be rolled
> back, until the feature is ready, and then it can be re-introduced. As
> such, I suggest that we apply the patch silene prepared which rolls the
> lobby changes back. Then, after sufficient testing and re-work, the new
> lobby can be re-introduced.
>
> Are there any thoughts, concerns, or objections to this approach?

To be honest I am not sure that this is really possible without adding
additional problems. For example the new lobby does support rooms. No idea how
the old lobby handles the existence of rooms on the server it joins. Beside this
someone reported a bug with the lobby patch and so far we don't know if it does
also exist without it. Have a look at [1] for this one.

In general if adding back the old lobby, activating it by default and moving the
new lobby to a start parameter like --new-lobby or the likes, we should also
make sure that this is documented (manpages!) and give translators some days to
finish the strings. With the removal of the old lobby some strings were removed
from those textdomains, too. So right after adding the old lobby back do not
forget to ping me so that I can run a pot-update. In general I promised
translators that they always got at least one week between a string
change/addition in stable and a release with those strings. So if we e.g. added
the old lobby back on Saturday the release of 1.8.1 had to wait till the
Saturday a week later.

Beside this fixing is problematic without feedback. The sad thing is that on the
day we announced 1.8 as "stable" we suddenly got players using it and reports
about issues that were completely unreported before, even some "this is not
usable this way" reports from some of our multiplayer developers. In general to
be able to really fix the bugs and problems in the new lobby we also need some
way to check if there are other bugs left. Without players in the lobby this is
barely possible.

We could also consider if it for example was possible to workaround some of the
problems in the new lobby by for example adding some checkbox to only refresh
when the refresh button is hit or the likes.

In short there are several things to consider with reintroducing the old lobby,
here is a short and comprehensive list:
* Which new bugs will we add (back?) when doing so?
* Translations (got to wait some time after adding the lobby back, can't
directly release).
* Testing of fixes in the new lobby and the nice "when is it really ready?"
question. Users tend to not test the new features until they are there by
default and we explicitly state "yeah, it is done". A startup parameter is
likely not enough.

Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

[1]https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?15836