Dear all.

Emotion of course needs to be regulated by communication that comes from the
prefrontal cortex back down to the amygdala and dopamine actually broadcasts
its signal broadly throughout the cerebral cortex. Because dopamine neurons
which prominent projection to the prefrontal cortex up to the striatum and it
can projects nicely to the amygdala as well. Therefore in order to be in
position to broadcast some kind of information a particular focus on the
information should be related to reward and reward prediction to a wide aspect
of the brain. Reward is basically objects that make us produce approach
behavior, an approach that we may need to spend energy on and also reward make
human to learn things. Rewards enter to neurobiology in 1950 when Olds and
Milner’s famous experience in series of which they put small wires into the
brains of little rats over and over to produce a current to their brain.
However the current that was produced was so weak that an individual can not
sense and it does not tickle on ones skin and this made the rats to press the
lever over and over to have the electric stimulus inside their brain. But this
is not an where but it is in a particular parts of the brain. The rats felt the
approach behavior was so strong that generate power of electricity stimulus to
stop eating, stop drinking and stop having sex. The more you leave them
continue with that it may lead to their death because they no more eat. It was
so difficult to recognize brain system that was stimulated, however this also
make it hard to see your electrode. After this entire search you will realized
that it was in the brain stem where it was and also in the anterior midbrain
where it actually quite complicated to find individual brain structure. In late
1950s to 1970s the revolution of neurotransmission in chemical
neurotransmitters was made where a number of them were identified including
dopamine. Dopamine is chemical that services a neurotransmitter and is located
in neurons that release fro neurons to identify the anatomic position in the
brain. During the process of the dopamine projection to the striatum to the
prefrontal cortex and the amygdala including other brain structures this made
the most important ones turned that manipulation of the dopamine
neurotransmission by giving dopamine antagonists and other substances to modify
reward-seeking behavior. This was discovered by Roy Wiess and associates and
other people that were dealing with electrical stimulation for brain reward
partly related to the dopamine neurons. In fact stimulating the dopamine
neurons meant the animal should repeat the electrical stimulation but it is
like getting reward. The essence of addiction, why people take drugs, people
take drugs to make them feel good or because they want to feel good. All the
drugs of abuse that we know that make people feel good also increases dopamine
in the pleasure centers of the brain and that is where it is believed to
actually to be crucially for producing reward effects  and ultimately lead to
the changes that we observe in addiction. With today’s imaging technology
neurologists can actually go more inside the brain of addicted people to see
what areas of the brain are disrupted and that will give more explanation as to
why the addicted person can not control the urge to take drugs even pleasurable
an more. They were pleasurable initially but as the continue repeating taking
the drugs, the pleasurable become less  and less and it resulted to start
taking it not to get high but just to feel normal. Because of Imaging and
scanning the inside of the human brain to see famous dopamine cells and this
cells releases dopamine when you take drug and it sends message by binding to
the receptors. This process is like taking radioactive compound that actually
bind when the receptors are not occupied by dopamine so this will allow you
take image and then bring the subject back and test them when they are taking
drugs like cocaine. Cocaine interferes with dopamine removal from the space and
that dopamine occupies all the receptors in such a way that when given
radioactive compound the receptors are occupied and the brain activity that is
a function of the drugs will increase the dopamine. This will make one go
inside the human brain with the modern technology to see the addicted person
and a person that’s not addicted to compare the brain when they are given
drugs. These were some of the things that Wolfram actually described many years
ago that once the brain learn certain stimulant produces reward and it stops
increasing dopamine with that stimulant and instead increases dopamine when
there is a stimulant associated with it that predicts the individual is going
to be rewarded. It is also what is known as conditioning and that was what
Pavlov described with his dog.  People who are addicted to drugs are increasing
dopamine when they see a person that they use to take drugs before in the
neighborhood where they actually have been.  To this context addiction has a
particular promise because it is far easier to model in an animal than other
psychiatric conditions however it unlikely that lay men does not understand
what animal like mouse and rats under a certain circumstances can choice to
self administer and addict itself to the same range of drugs that people self
administer and addict themselves to.
Best wishes
Arike