Dear Caleb and members in this forum,

Permit me to extend my sincere apologies for being silent for a long time.
I was sick and had to undergo a surgical procedure in Mombasa in December
2012 and now just getting better. Thanks to you all for your prayers.
During this time, I had limited access to internet and missed many things.
However, this will be history in the next 10 or so months as I have now
embarked on an intercontinental postdoctoral research programme, courtesy
of the University of KwaZulu-Natal in which I will have the
facilities/technologies to meaningfully engage with members, time
permitting.

Well, members I must say I am feeling the pain from these yearly results
more than any of you. I vividly recall the 1970s when Ombaderuko Primary
School I completed from would give 50 – 70 candidates in Grade I and saw
this trend declining to a level that in my own year, only two of us made it
to Grade I out of over 100 candidates. I also had an unimagined opportunity
to join Kabalega SS which those days was one of the academic giants/stars
in the Country and during my year only 4 of us out of 120 candidate still
made to Grade 1.  Caleb, your understanding of the whole matter in terms of
a complicated surgery, pains me even more because I just came out of it and
know what it means.

I ask myself, have we all exhausted the options at our disposal? What level
of commitment have we exhibited to tackle this matter? I remember when I
informed the net/forum about my graduation in 2010, it generated a list of
all PhD holders in the region, the question I still ask is: where are
we/they? In terms of human resources, I strongly believe West Nile is well
endowed. Why are they sighing away from this noble responsibility? Caleb, I
totally buy the idea of convening a stakeholders meeting and I would gladly
volunteer to be a member in the organizing team. I thought the Education
Committee we had should have been the right unit in the forum to spearhead
this. If there is anything that you think I can contribute towards this
regional convention, kindly let me know. I am genuinely committed this
cause because I feel we can change the statuesquo and also because “I even
managed to make it to where I am, and why not them” Our younger generation
in the region can do better with our support, guidance and leadership.

One thing that keeps bothering me is the issue of language policy in this
country. It has consequences for literacy and numeracy learning at lower
levels and impacts badly on our children if we sit and just watch. The
World Bank argues that to progress to a second language, one needs to be
fluent in his/her mother tongue. To what extent have we, as members of this
forum, considered the lack those simple reading story books Like “Ondia pi
Draru be” we used to read those days as a contributory factor in worsening
PLE results in our region? Why do I say this? Just because I no longer see
them and those that are coming up are written by “the Bashabes” with
questionable Lugara. I think we have many professional Language teachers,
the district has even a Language Board, and there are some people like me
who would like to volunteer and do something towards addressing the
challenge of revitalizing, Lugbara, developing, enriching and on a
sustainable and promoting it on sustainable basis as other ethnic groups
do. Our Lugbara should not die. One of the root causes of poor performance
in Primary which lays foundation for subsequent levels of education has to
do with the fact that pupils these days leave primary level of education
without the required reading, writing and numerical skills. We need to
address this squarely in the context of the current thematic curriculum
teaching in which mother tongue or one’s first language is a cruel factor.

>From 2011 – 2012, myself, Francis Enjata from St. Joseph’s College, Ombaci
by then, Jasindo Afebu from Micu Primary School and Mrs Christine Debo, the
Deputy Speaker of Arua District Local Government sat under the LETTER
Project, sat together through series of workshops and wrote four bilingual
story books which New Readers Project of the University of KwaZulu Natal is
finalizing. At an appropriate time, I would invite interested members to
view the books and see their worth for our new readers and consider mass
production for distribution to our primary schools and community libraries
I have set up in the region. To motivate literacy and numeracy learners we
also need to consider introducing our rural folks to ICTs. Look at an
example of a photo I took in Otravu Primary School when we visited our
community library there with a mobile computer laboratory from our partner
Maendelo Foundation which can be accessed through this link:
http://www.elearning-africa.com/photo_competition_home.php On the page you
will see two options: SUBMIT Or VOTE. Click on the vote and look for a
photo with the capitation *“Computers excite and motivate intergenerational
literacy learners in a rural school*”. It is probably the 8th or 9th photo
in the group. If you do not mind members, give the region your vote because
these are things we would like to promote to address some of the problems
we are talking about.

I am sorry for the long post, but I think the end justifies the means.

Willy* *