And here is Dr. Okuonzi's rebuttal of Achemah's article:

ttp://www.monitor.co.ug/OpEd/Commentary/Pursuit-of-Lugbara-chiefdom-is-justifiable/-/689364/1898936/-/114vwh8/-/index.html

================
Harold Acemah’s piece in the Sunday Monitor of June 23, “Quest for
Lugbara chiefdom is nothing but a selfish venture” is, with due
respect, dismissive, inaccurate, polemical and not in the best
interest of the Lugbara. It plays into the hands of those who regard
Lugbara as unorganised, and without a history of control and
cohesiveness. Acemah’s thesis is that the Lugbara did not have
chiefdoms and believed that “men were created equal, clan heads were
chosen on merit, and were

On 7/20/13, samuel andema <andemanot hereditary… and the Lugbara were
egalitarian and republican”.

Actually, the Lugbara nation, though highly decentralised, was
cohesive and unified. Central authority was exercised only in times of
national crises, especially in wars, famine and epidemics. The
smallest political unit was the chieflet, with complete institutions
for governing politics, economy, trade, religion, law, army and
foreign relationship; all the components of a state. Depending on the
nature and extent of an issue, chieflets got together under a
paramount chief.

John Middleton has indeed written widely about the Lugbara, but dwells
on Lugbara anthropology not her political organisation and statehood.
These latter topics have been written elsewhere and especially vividly
by historian O.J.E Shiroya in a chapter “Lugbara States in 18th and
19th centuries” in the book State Formation in Eastern Africa.

The Lugbara state formation occurred between 1500 and 1700. Before
1500 there was no Lugbara. Lugbara was a created through the cultural
and blood mixing through intermarriages between four different ethnic
groups: Madi, Bari, Luo and Kebu/Ndu. The Madi group was dominant both
in number and language. So Madi language and culture as a whole was
modified through cultural transformation, giving rise to a new
culture, nation and language group called Lugbara.

The Lugbara consisting of formerly different ethnic groups became a
distinct entity “with common ideas, in politics, and in social
philosophies”. At the turn of 18th century, secondary migrations begun
from the cradle land southwards and westwards into what is now DR
Congo. Some Lugbara clans moved into Logiri and DR Congo. They settled
among and intermarried with the Kebu and Ndu, and assimilated these
tribes into the Lugbara culture.

Lugbaraization
Historians call the period 1770 - 1850 “the Lugbaraization period”,
the period of expansion of Lugbara culture, language and influence.
Outlying clans such as Aupi, Yiba and Otumbari became Lugbaraized. The
Lugbara culture penetrated Bari communities without the Lugbara
actually moving there, for example the Ludara of Koboko. Formerly Bari
speaking clans such as Lormujo, Leiko, Leba, Riaba, Kerikula, Reli and
Ingili all became Lugbaraized.

The basic political unit in the Lugbara nation was a chieflet led by a
chief or Opi or Atalao. A chief was advised by Ojoo on war, famine and
epidemics. Ojoo was also a high priest, physician, foreteller and
diviner. In parts of Lugbara, paramount chiefs existed, and ruled over
several chieflets who submitted to him. In Maraca the paramount chief
was called Opi Ozooni, because he was also a rain-maker. In Aringa all
chiefs were rain-makers. Opi’s were hereditary and for life. Opi was
succeeded by the first son of the first wife. Where this was not
possible,
elders selected one son to be the chief.

There was no standing army in the Lugbara nation, even at the chieflet
level. But an army was always mobilised in times of need. The army was
led by a military commander or war captain called Keigo or Ambo. This
was not an appointive position but came automatically to a warrior who
distinguished himself. Chiefdoms cooperated and held “mock wars” to
keep soldiers fit. War was controlled by a paramount chief, who also
settled disputes among chieflets.

The Lugbara’s Kari or Chiefdom, renamed during the colonial period was
an expansion and modification of the basic Lugbara social and
political organisation. It was not a new creation. While Lugbara
ancestors organised chiefs and paramount chiefs to solve specific
problems as such as famines, today the Lugbara are faced with new but
perpetual challenges of disunity, lack of cohesion and loss of
cultural heritage, and of adjusting our culture to science and
technology. For this reason, to restore the Lugbara Kari is justified
so as to bring about unity, to foster ethnic identity, to protect our
cultural heritage and to develop and codify Lugbara language for
advanced education, science and technology. These cannot be achieved
by the central or local governments.

While the way the current cultural leaders have been chosen in their
respective positions has not been transparent, in principle, it is the
right way to go. To give credibility to the whole process, Lugbara
elders from the entire Lugbara land, including from DR Congo, must get
together to select persons who have distinguished themselves in the
service of the Lugbara people and have the capacity to achieve the
goals outlined above. I call upon all Lugbara to join hands to restore
our cultural organisation.

Mr Okuonzi is the Member of Parliament for Vurra County, Arua District