Good people,

                             Some of you may recognize that my name Angelo
Opi-aiya Izama is similar to that of Angelo Adalla Izama, the late
paramount chief of Madi. The late Izama is my grandfather and I think my
middle name Opiaiya - refers to the scattering of that authority or put it
differently responsibility.

Am aware of the renewed interest in redefining cultural meaning of
traditional institutions driven mainly, in my view, by elite accommodation
of the recent politics of political patronage. There is nothing wrong with
this. Political organisations by their nature are opportunistic and if
there are some who argue that creating a Kingdom status for the Lugbara has
advantages- well, they should be allowed to make their argument.

It has however to be an intellectually honest process. West Nile's
egalitarian nature what has been described by Ambassador Harold Acemah as
institutionalized traditional republicanism has always for me been a higher
calling than some of the pretensions to European style monarchy that go on
in Central and South Central Uganda.

Opi boronji ( or the sons of chiefs) as is my humble heritage was not a
status that needed pampering by anyone but was a call to service as the
historiography attests. In Ma'adi cultural tradition where the Opi and the
Ojoo are summoned to constitute structures of need during crisis - its done
so that there is leadership never as an imposition of rule as some have
suggested. There is something special about this system that places a
premium on responsibility and not entitlement, on power deriving from
authority and that authority itself based on a position of responsibility.

I have two arguments to make here. Firstly to the claim that political
institutions are flexible. Its true that colonialism and before it ethnic
intercourse restructured political institutions over time. But luckily
today and with hindsight, political institutions that are culturally
relevant can be arrived at by deliberation and by choice.

Secondly a society for cultural heritage and revival can be political.
Politics is about constituency. What we should be careful about is to
resurrect , through creative interpretations of history, institutions that
are not anchored on the value that our societies in West Nile have placed
on the freedom and independence ( and responsibility) of individuals.

I have offered the same advice to my friends in Buganda who are trapped in
the institutions of the past ( hard power institutions based on the near
absolute power of the Kabaka) and failed to transition into today's times.
Cultural soft power is malleable to politics yes but it is a different
perhaps more humane, intelligent form of institutional formation.

best wishes

Angelo Opi-aiya Izama

Angelo Izama

Writer, journalist, analyst, consultant