> From: Mauro Tortonesi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> the patch you've posted is really such an ugly workaround
> (shame on microsoft

Exactly the same opinion here.
Please don't misunderstand me, personally for most of my work on windows I
use cygnus (including wget) anyway.
However there are still lots of people using Windows NT 4 or even
win95/win98, with old compilers, where the compilation won't work without
the patch.
Even if we place a comment in the source file or the windows/Readme many of
those will be discouraged, say those who do have a compiler but aren't
really developers (yet) (for example first year CS students with old lab
computer compilers).

I suppose we could leave that stuff present but commented out, and print a
warning when configure.bat --msvc is called.
Maybe we could even make that warning conditionally (run cl.exe, use the
dos/windows find.exe in order to check the output, if 12.00 echo warning)
but that would be even more hacky.

> have you tried the microsoft visual c++ toolkit 2003? maybe
> it works. you can
> download it for free at the following URL:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Not yet, but I will certainly.
Nevertheless, I think the point is the "continue to support existing
installation if possble" issue, after all VC6 is not free either, and at
least one newer commercial VC version has been reported to compile without
problems. Those, however, certainly don't support Win95, probably don't
Win98/ME or/and NT4 either (didn't yet check though).

Personally I feel wget should try to still support that not-so-old compiler
platform if possible, even if there are other options, either the direct
successor (current VC) or not (free alternatives like cygnus, mingw and
borland compilers), in order to keep the development process easily
accessible to old installations, in order to have more choices for
everybody.

Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A. www.previnet.it
-- Heiko Herold [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]