On 2/13/06, wang lei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Here is my opinions:

>> - should the post 1.2 version of Wicket involve both changes?
Absolutely not.
I support the constructor change ,because it force the programmer to do in a right way.
I don't want wicket support JDK1.5 soon.
I know generics can bring many benefits.But there is a long time before most of us move to JDK1.5.
Some projects from my clients are stilling run on JDK1.4 even JDK1.3.One year ,at least, is necessary for waiting.
My clients would just move to  JDK1.4 easily,because they need to pay a lot of money and not sure the old software can move to the new JDK easily.

Based on the current pace of development, a 2.0 release would probably not land until late this year at the earliest, I would think.  Does that make 1.5 sound a little better?

And 1.4 users would have two choices:
  1. Use the new version through Retrotranslator
  2. Stick with the old version until they can safely migrate
I don't think either of those options is particularly bad.

 >>- should we make different releases for either change, and thus postponing 1.5 to   Wicket 3?
No, one version is enough. Wicket2 or wicket3 are not important.
I think if you move to JDK1.5 too soon.You will lose many users.It's not good for wicket.
Wicket still has a long way to go.

Of course, it would also gain users thanks to the nicer development environment.  :)

>> - how many would object to having a retroweaver build of a JDK 5 Wicket, which   enables you to run 1.5 code on a 1.4 JRE?
I never try to do that.

I'm not sure what you mean... just that you've never tried it?  Or do you have some objection to this approach?

Thanks,
Jess
http://www.jroller.com/page/jsight/