Before we moved to Java as our primary platform at work, I had done years of development w/ MS technologies and you can love or hate Microsoft, but the ease of which you're able to sit down and get to work is one thing they *have* gotten right.  The fact that it takes four months to install vs.net on modern hardware probably says something to that, but regardless, you're able to simply focus on your application - not like the relatively gnarly dev environment setup w/ Java.

Though I prefer Eclipse *slightly* over Netbeans I think Sun is headed in the right direction when it comes to ease of initial setup, probably inspired by Visual Studio.  I think most new users would find it easier to start w/ Netbeans for this reason.  I'd be using it myself if the editor was as nice and feature-rich as eclipse.

What I'd never want to see is the monolithic consolidation of technologies, like Microsoft has; you get one choice for app server, web framework, etc.  If Java ever gets *that* easy than we've lost the massive advantage of freedom of choice.

Anyhow, I might blog-up a little setup guide for new users for Windows and Linux using Wicket as the web framework.  I'll try to do that this weekend as crunch-time will be over and I can breathe once again.

Anyone else there developing on Linux?  I use Gentoo myself but I suppose the "majority" is probably using Ubuntu by now?  Linux might be a tough one to please a lot of people as far as setting up the JDK (though this should get easier w/ the new license.)

-v