> Ok, let me try to explain another way.
>
> If you create a page where you use the radio component. The radios represent
> various kinds of datasets(OLAP cubes in this case but it does not really
> matter).
>
> On monday the 1. march you record with jmeter your test case(jmeter only
> records the http requests). In your test case you must select the retirement
> dataset (which has the value "radio5" on the html page).
>
> Some time has passed now and you want to run your jmeter test, but on your
> page some of the datasets has been removed (they wasnt needed or was not
> allowed to be shown). So now the page no longer contains the radio with the
> value radio5, and your jmeter test will fail because wicket cant find the
> radio(another error scenario would be if the radios changed order).
>
> So if radio component allowed the use of Ichoicerenderer, it could generate
> the value based on the id of the ichoicerenderer for the particular dataitem.
> This would bring better persistance to the radios. At least when testing with
> jmeter.
>
> Did I do a better job explaining?:)

I think I got ya :)

> Some could argue that it's not issue, but it would be very handy to have the
> ability to use the ichoicerender with every component that makes use of the
> value attribute in inputs(havent thought it through though). Because it would
> make it easier to use tools as jmeter.

It would also use a bit more memory and make it's API bigger and thus
more complex I'm afraid. I'm not sure whether it is a good feature to
build in by default. An alternative could be to enable users to
provide their own implementation, i.e. by making getValue non-final.

Looking at that code, I don't understand why we even need:
private short uuid = -1;

as there is no code other than in getValue that changes the value, and
that value can just be recreated everytime it is needed (as it is
nothing more than a call to getPage().getAutoIndex()). Am I missing
something here?

WDYT?