I wonder if a better place to innovate might be in the conduct of research,
rather than the reporting, review and publication of research?

While wiki speeds collaboration within a community, the research literature
favors long-lasting contributions outside the community. Wiki or wiki-like
collaboration tools might be better applied to stimulating and conducting
high-quality research that will then usefully feed existing publications.

I assume here that Wikipedia and the like have been sufficiently successful to
raise more research questions and to enable more research methods than this
community has time and/or ability to pursue. (If topics were scarce then they
might be usefully hoarded.)

Of course there are many ways to share methods and directions and lots have
already been applied in this community. However, I get the impression that
results still take months or years to produce.

Aside: I have built a data mining tool and methodology, Exploratory Parsing,
that can read all of Wikipedia in 10 seconds for a useful notion of "read".  I
have also created a Federated Wiki that promotes wiki-like sharing without need
for a common vision or agreed social norms. I intend to combine the two to make
an experiment manager where setups are easily shared and where methodological
improvements and/or research redirections easily build on other's work in
progress.

What would our environment have to be like before our collaborative cycle time
is reduced to days?