I've been attending London Meetups for over three years, and anecdotally
I'd say there was a high correlation between repeat or even regular
attendance at meetups and editor retention. Of course it is possible there
are some editors who spot us, leave the pub and stop editing..... I also
think that the "typical wiki career = 18 months" myth that was quoted a few
years ago is long gone.

What I don't know is whether meetups are more attractive to the older
editors who have settled on editing as a hobby and have a very high
retention rate and less attractive to the younger editors with their
shorter retention rate. Though obviously pub based meetups do exclude those
who are clearly below the legal drinking age.

As for advertising meetups in ways unlikely to reach newer editors,
nowadays all UK meetups are advertised on people's watchlists via geo
lookup. So we get a mix, and some of the editors we get are quite new. But
I'd agree back in the days when it was only advertised on Meta and
invitations to people with London userboxes the London Meetup was far more
cliquey. In some of my first meetups I was in minority as being a
non-admin, nowadays most attendees are not admins.

WSC