Anecdotal evidence from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia suggests meetups are not a safeguard against the local community dying out. Both places had meetups, that eventually saw fewer and fewer people, and then stopped entirely. For Pittsburgh I tried motivating people to participate in the WikiProject Pittsburgh, all to no avail. I am still at a loss to try to explain why we failed (i.e. why the meetups failed to contribute to editor retention).

--
Piotr Konieczny

"To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's
laurels, is defeat." --Józef Pilsudski