Very true. The longer you hang around Wikipedia, the more people you
encounter who really piss you off. It's a very negative culture.

I think the lack of physicality is part of the problem. Having worked in
international standards and other similar battlegrounds, I know that the
most important thing you can do to make the group work well together is to
get them to eat and drink together. It seems to build trust and an
appreciation that the other people aren't stupid because they don't
understand what you are trying to achieve; it leads to mutual respect and
consensus building back in the meeting room.

In WP, I think the lack of physicality contributes to the culture. But I
don't know if local meetups can solve the problem as the people who you are
interacting with on articles are often not from your home town - indeed
often you have no clue who they are, where they are from, are they
young/old, is English their first language, what's their background etc.

Now some might say "why does that matter, shouldn't you treat all people
equally?". And my answer is that it does matter because you are
communicating. To communicate, you have to operate in a shared universe of
discourse. When we go about our lives every day, we automatically adjust our
communication to what we perceive to be the shared universe of discourse
with the other person. You don't discuss your pension fund with children,
because children don't understand pension funds. You don't swear when you
talk to your grandmother, because nice old ladies don't like that kind of
language. You simplify your language if you think you are dealing with
someone who doesn't speak English very well. In en.WP, how you respond to a
"low-quality edit" might be very different if you knew you were dealing with
a 12 year old or a person who didn't speak English very well or your
grandmother.

In WP, you are denied just about every clue that you rely on in interacting
with other people, so very piece of "emotional intelligence" goes out the
window. If you look at most social media sites, you are encouraged to create
a profile with a photo, your job/interests etc, your colleagues/friends etc
(the specifics vary with the intended purpose of the site - LinkedIn is
different to Facebook, but the general principles are similar). Interacting
with strangers on such sites is much easier because you are supplied with
the information that you also get when you eat and drink with people (you
chat about your work, your family, your interests) etc. Sure, WP is not a
"social media" site, but I think it could learn a few things from them about
facilitating human interaction which underpins collaboration.

If, as someone mentioned, people are refused administrator privileges on the
grounds of "I don't know this guy", I think it speaks volumes about the
importance of human interaction and that WP fails to facilitate it by either
physical or electronic means.

Kerry

  _____