I met some of the Georgian editors last time I was in Tbilisi. They seem to
have a very tight community, there aren't many of them but that means they
are few enough that they can all work together on their "topic of the month
". Which couldn't be more different from the London meetups where some of
the participants almost never interact on wiki.

As well as meetups we've also run editathon and other content focussed
things in London as part of our GLAM and outreach programs. Articles like
Hoxne Hoard certainly did get a lot of people editing together who had met
in real life. Their retention effects will probably be different, and you
can't measure that against non-participants as a base because there is also
bound to be a halo effect amongst the people we invite. I know from another
organisation that there are lots of people who feel happier about continued
membership of an organisation that sends them interesting looking invites,
even if they are currently too busy to take up those invites. So the total
impact of say a backstage pass at a prestigious museum is much more than
the obvious benefit to articles and retention of participants, as there
will be people who feel very differently about their or indeed their
partner's hobby if it involves such invitations.

As for the idea that people attend meetups to do well in elections, in
2010/11 I was one of the active nominators at RFA, and I can assure you
there are several editors who I've met at meetups but who have decided not
to run for adminship. So not everyone attends to boost their wiki career.
Only two of my seven successful nominations have been London meetup
regulars (though I think there've been times when London generated similar
clusters of nominations to the Wikimania one you observed). So the verdict
has to be that many don't attend to boost their wiki career, and don't
assume that those who do run attended a meetup in order to boost their
chances of winning. It sometimes just happens that I or others take the
opportunity to persuade them to volunteer to be an admin.

WSC