Hi Sam and all,

> real life experiments

why not describe their rationale, their setting, the
variables, if people knew they were producing data for your
experiment etc.

> does knowing someone's gender increase bias?

I'd say the outcome depends on cultural factors, e.g., bias
is likely to be the higher in people who have the cultural
habit of counting just two genders, for example

hi all,

Kerry said Wikipedia feels like being back in the 70s, early
70s, I'd say
my feeling is: gender stats based on two genders only (let
me reiterate this point) is a no go if you want to enable
and encourage change. Gender gap should not be a singular:
there are more than just two genders

let us take a look at the Wikipedia default in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Preferences

it knows of options, but these are:

x prefer not to say
x I am female
x I am male

so, here, the default setting is a binary plus
odd-person-out, and that is placed at the top; if you do
nothing, the first box is ticked

luckily, newcomers neither see it at the start nor do they
have to relate to this issue at all. Yet, if you do nothing,
your user account is still being set in relation to a gender
binary systemic bias

one might do some research into this and ask newcomers (by
age group, maybe) what they feel when seeing this. But I
would prefer not to draw any attention to this systemic
default at all

anyway, what does this say about gender awareness among the
users/staff(?) who may not even see this as an incident of
Wikipedia's systemic bias?

and yes, even if this was not your intended meaning of the
question:

>> is gender discrimination more likely when it is known?

I'd say: when gender discrimination is known, it is more
likely that gender discrimination is part of the game...
currently, wiht the Inspire Campaign, gender discrimination
is being -- well -- advertised, in a way: with female users
being singled out as a minority among Wikipedia editors - so
what effect is to be expected in this light, given that an
alleged majority of male* Wikipedians read this banner
several times these days?

opinions?

so how to encourage change without drawing attention to
"gender gap" in the singular only?

how bring change without feeding into a worldview that is
itself aprt of the problem?

opinions?

cheers,
Claudia