Hey,

The situation with commonsMedia is a bit bad because it should be a URL
> rather than a string. What I do in wda is effectively a type conversion
> from string to URI in this particular case. Maybe we can fix this somehow
> in the future when URIs are supported as a value datatype.

Ok, this makes me somewhat concerned. We do have a IriValue DV [0], which
we've had for nearly a year. It is indeed not used for commonsMedia, not
sure why. What concerns me is that we are now introducing a "url" data
type, which will also just use the string DV, rather then the IRI DV. I'm
not very happy with this, though it is what most of the team wants. If
there is a problem with this approach, it should be outlined _soon_, since
this is something not far from deployment if I understand it correctly.

[0]
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-DataValues/blob/master/DataValues/src/IriValue.php

Cheers

--