On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> I have seen the statistics. The quality of Freebase cannot be understood by
> simply looking at the problems. People have been looking for problems and
> been identifying them. As a consequence more data ended up in the error
> bucket than in the good bucket. I have for instance added a lot of
> statements as "wrong" because they were exactly the same as the value
> already present. Consequently the error rate is not representative.
>
> Denny, I have a suggestion. It is backed by math, it is backed by how people
> think. All the arguments are on my side. I have not heard your arguments and
> the "primary sources tool" was announced as a good thing and the community
> never agreed to having it. So leave the community out of it and focus on
> arguments.
>
> why would someone work on data in the primary sources tool when it is more
> effective to add data directly

There are several reasons. My personal reasons for using it: It is
more convenient for me and I have more security that what I am putting
into Wikidata is actually useful and correct.

> why is data that is over 90% good denied access to Wikidata (ie as good as
> Wikidata itself)

Do you have any way to back up this 90% claim?

> how do you justify the pst when so little data was included in Wikidata

pst?

> why not have Kian learn from the data set of Freebase and Wikidata and have
> smart suggestions

No-one is preventing that.

> why waste people's time adding one item/statement at a time when you can
> focus on the statements that are in doubt (either in Freebase or in Wikidata

You consider it wasting people's time. Please recognize that other
people do not consider it wasting their time.

> The notion of having all new data go through the primary sources tool will
> see me leave the project when this is realised. I will feel that my time and
> intelligence is wasted.

No-one said all new data should go through it as far as I know. I do
want it to be a major part of our workflows but that is not the same
thing as not allowing anything else.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata