Hi Bee,

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 16:42 -0200, Barbara Dieu wrote:

> I was attracted though by the apparent facility of
> combining different contributed bits and pieces to create your own,
> something which seems to be more difficult in the wiki, where you
> create all from scratch and it remains (in my limited view) a bit
> static.

Technically the collection feature in WikiEducator enables users to
reuse existing collections and/or recreate customised collections.
Also, I think that there are considerable opportunities for us to
improve reusability through design. For example, identifying the
educational elements with a high probability for customisation (eg
activities) as discrete objects in the materials, for instance
pedagogical templates or individual subsections. In this way we can
reduce the time and effort required for reuse and customisation.  With
this model -- different teachers can then easily build customised
collections for their teaching.  I do agree that we will need to refine
the user interface for making it easier to build customised collections
in WE.

This is something I'd be keen for us to focus on in the new year.  So
any thoughts on how we can improve the ability to customise and reuse
resources is most welcome. We can build these recommendations into the
technical development specifications.  If all goes well -- we should be
able to raise the funding necessary for these refinements :-).

> >WikiEducator is founded on the wiki-model of peer collaboration
> whereas Connexions' processes are more akin to the "producer-consumer"
> model of OER content development. Both approaches have their
> respective advantages and disadvantages.
>
> Why do you mean by peer as opposed to producer-consumer and what would
> be the advantages and disadvantages of each, as you see it?

Towards the end of 2007, Ken Udas from the World Campus at PSU, Chris
Geith from MSU Global and myself had a bash at distinguishing these
approaches:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Internationalising_online_programs/OER_producer-consumer_and_co-production_models

I think the table attempting to compare these approaches needs some
refinement and improvement ;-) -- but is nonetheless is a starting point
to think about these differences.

I think that the mass-collaboration approach which underpins
peer-production models has greater potential for leveraging the benefits
of self-organising OER systems (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-organization ) -- What's interesting
about self-organising systems is the fact that its difficult to predict
future benefits -- they emerge over time. Also, self-organising systems
are also more responsive and can adapt more easily to changing needs. I
also have a strong sense that the emerging approaches will be more
aligned with the principles of mass-customisation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_customization ) as opposed to the
more traditional model of mass-standardisation we have become accustomed
to in the classical academic publishing model.

In reality -- its still very early days in the world of  mass
collaboration and peer-production OER models in education.  There is
still lots that we need to learn.  That's what I find so exciting with
projects like WikiEducator -- we're making the future happen!