Valerie,

We can move forward relatively quickly because we have a dedicated software
team on the project - my husband and I have a software company, so we can
draw on the expertise and experience. Still, I always want to move faster!!!
You know how it is... At least we will have a beautiful front page and site
design in a couple of days. This took forever because I kept tweaking things
around in sketches.

You pose an excellent question - a research problem, even. I guess if I were
to situate it, it would turn into, "How do we build the semantic web (web
3.0) out of our stuff?" Or maybe it's too broad?

Little RLOs from Natural Math, every one of them, are about users creating
something. For the Family Multiplication Study in particular, we are
building a structure where there is a "creation hub" (multiplication planet
site, named by an activity, such as snowflakes, patterns in the
multiplication table, your own number systems, your own board or computer
games and so on) and then individual creations around each hub, kinda like
settlers building houses and barns and such to form a village. I think the
information of how each "settler family" moved among hubs is useful too, so
we are going to capture those journeys.

People, naturally, describe what information and tools they used -
manipulatives, sites, books and so on. I posed the condition that when
people cite a non-open (or non-Creative Commons) source, they describe the
relevant part enough for others to be able to do the activity without buying
the source. But a family story can't all be about the information the family
found somewhere: it has to be about what they built using the information.

Valerie, I would like to know more about your project! Are your students
authoring? I guess it's a philosophical question, because assembling
information in novel ways (citing, mashing, linking) is considered a form of
authoring by many. Yet I am going for a pretty direct definition of
"authoring" here: users creating their own definitions, making up their own
math operations, posing their own problems, coming up with their own
patterns, building their own systems and so on. If we go by "Bloom's Digital
Taxonomy <http://www.techlearning.com/article/8670>" - I am chasing the top
two levels (creating and evaluating).

Looking forward to learning more about your work,
MariaD