Hi Valerie & Nellie,

Excellent and very timely suggestions!

As we speak, we're planning a national co-ordinated community effort to
develop reusable and portable content for New Zealand schools (
http://wikieducator.org/OERNZ ) we think carefully through the steps to save
time in getting resource started. Teachers are busy folk.

For example -- if a teacher wanted to donate a lesson plan -- we should try
to make this as easy as possible.

I'm experimenting with the concept of a lesson plan template which will
preload the main headings, formating and structure. It will automatically
insert the relevant categories and provide limited guidance and ideas for
filling in the template. Recognising that there is not an ideal or optimal
template given different approaches to teaching, unique demands of the
subject area, student background etc. We will need to have a small selection
of different templates. I have been working on two prototypes:

   1. A standard lesson template (http://tinyurl.com/ybt4g6t )
   2. The "St Cuthberts College" template -- which is an example of a
   template used by a local school ( http://tinyurl.com/ydjgjza )

With thanks to Nellie for a donation of one of her lesson plans (The Last
Spin webquest) -- I'm now piloting the template (still work in progress) to
provide an example which teachers can see. With this sort of thing its good
to have an example -- plus a short help resource to show folk how this
works.

Once we implement a WYSIWYG editor -- we will remove more barriers. I also
think that its important to form teams that focus on specific areas and
tasks in the wiki -- see for example:
http://wikieducator.org/New_Zealand_Schools_OER_Portal/Roles . These teams
form mini communities which can provide help and support to folk who want to
get started with specific tasks.

While this project has a strong New Zealand focus -- being OER, all the
content resources, templates and approaches can easily be replicated and
refined for other countries and communities. For example, in the last week
Uganda (http://wikieducator.org/OERUG) and Israel (
http://wikieducator.org/Israel_Schools_OER_Portal) have started their
national school portals :-). Hopefully many more will follow :-)

Good thinking -- lets make this happen!

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,